Re: (erielack) Hopatcong Junction

Now that the map is posted, here's a little more description:

Hopatcong Jct and Lake Jct are clearly marked on the map.  Morris Co Jct
was the connection between the Wharton & Northern (originally Morris
County Railroad) and the Hopatcong Railroad (which connected to the Ogden
Mine Railroad) and was actually north of I-80, next to Berkshire Valley
Rd.  Later it became the name of the interchange between the CNJ and DLW
when the CNJ abandoned in Pennsylvania and ran over the DLW to Scranton,
at a slightly different location.  I've been there and didn't find any
signs of the old junction; the W&N rails remain in place into Picatinny
Arsenal but haven't been used since 1972 or so.  Some track in Picatinny
was used until 1983.  The NJ 15 grade crossing is paved over but the
northbound crossbuck remains.

Not marked on the map is Chester Jct where the DLW Chester Branch comes
off the DLW main, just west of Mill Road.

The CNJ track has been removed from the DLW Chester Branch east through
Wharton to the connection to the Dover & Rockaway.  The Mount Hope Mineral
also has no track. The section from the bridge over the DLW main to East
Dewey Ave has been paved.  It provides access between the Wharton Senior
Center and Shop-Rite.

- --- "Gary R. Kazin" <gkazin_@_yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://www.railfan.net/lists/mplist.cgi?erielack-photo
> Wharton_Map.jpg (image/jpeg, 758696 bytes)

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey