(erielack) CR/EL

Thanks for all the information about when the last through freights
ran on the Boonton Line/Cut-off route.  I was in Greendell in June of
1978 and have a picture of a CR former PC-powered long freight
running e/bound.  That was after I had read in a "Block Line" that
the New York Times reported that CR wanted to shut down the
former Lackawanna route from Port Morris west.  Yet the trains
kept running.

In September of 1980 I was travelling up US 611 through the Water
Gap and was surprised to see the act of vandalism that CR
performed on the line, cutting down all of the communications wires
along the line insuring that no high speed freight movement would
ever happen again without someone investing a lot of money into
the line.

I suppose from the CR management viewpoint this redundant but
well-maintained line could have been unwanted competition for
them.

Was the cut-off and the line up to Scranton part of the EL estate?
EL didn't scrap the cut-off, CR did.  I'm thinking that Pennsylvania
bought the line from Slateford west.  I'm not clear on just what
happened there.

Ed Montgomery