From: erielack-owner_@_lists.railfan.net
[mailto:erielack-owner_@_lists.railfan.net] On Behalf Of Hhaines@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 9:08 AM
To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
Subject: (erielack) Almost Erie

Dear List:

This past weekend I took my step-grandson to see the Polar Express. There
was
a know-it-all on the movie train that blurted out the locomotive description

of a Baldwin 2-8-4, Berkshire, Class S-3 built...well, it caused me to take
second or third look at the locomotive.  Could it be an Erie loco (list
content)?

The front end looked Erie, and so did the large tender (two locations where
movie scenes occurred), but it wasn't quite right.  There was a pretty
detailed
cab interior that really stands out on a large screen even a blind guy could

enjoy. But the steam and sand domes were not Erie.  Yesterday's email gave
me
the rest of the story, also found in Trains January issue "Hollywood’s
locomotive  When the producers of the animated Polar Express went looking
for a
locomotive, they found Pere Marquette 1225." So they used the PM loco out by
Grand
Rapids, MI (or one similar to it).  And yes, his Grandma lived on a branch
of
the Pere Marquette, and there is a Rivarossi model of a PM Berkshire that
She
owns and runs to the delight of all the grand boys.
The movie was a good show, especially with the younger crowd.
Now if the loco was only Erie and the coaches Stillwells or Wyatt Erps...oh,

well.  Maybe someday in MY version of the Polar Express....

Have a good holiday.
Howard Haines
ELHS member