Fwd: (erielack) BAR power on EL?

Paul

The PRR had a long standing arrangement whereas they would use some BAR
power for several months each year.  I seem to recall that it was summer  duty,
when PRR needed extra power for ore trains in the Cleveland area and it  was
during BAR's slow period, before potato harvest, etc.

That resulted in BAR GP-9's and F-3-a's being assigned to the Lake Division
of PRR every summer and they wandered to Youngstown, New Castle, Akron,  etc.
Have many B&W negs of this power on PRR.

When Conrail was formed, the first year or two power was very short.   Units
were leased from MK, BN (former SP&S Alco RS), MILW (GP-40) CN ((630's  and
636's) and BAR as well as many other roads.

That shortage, and the fact that PRR had been leasing BAR power for years,
resulted in Conrail leasing GP-38's and GP-38's from BAR.  Since it was
tradition that they were assigned out of Cleveland, they worked out of  Collinwood
Diesel Terminal.  We had a couple at Brier Hill from time to  time and I
remember assigning one GP-38 to the Warren Run on at least one  occasion.  (Had also
assigned a MILW GP-40 to the Warren Run on occasion,  believe it was the
2049.)

After yard and terminal consolidations were done in a few years and the big
batch of GP-7's and GP-9's were sent to MK,, RI, PNC, and Paducah for rebuild
into GP-8's and GP-10's things settled down and there was less power  leased.
 That first couple of years, we virtually leased power from anyone  who had
it for lease.

So, yes, Paul, the BAR units did operated on former EL trackage.

SMT