RE: (erielack) Incident at Friendship

I believe I wrote that article based on some Erie and PS&N correspondance I
was able to review.  The incident occured in the early 1920's.  At
Friendship the Erie and PS&N had a connecting track.  The PS&N had a Water
Tank at Friendship for watering locomotives while the Erie had none.  A
joint agreement existed permitting  Erie engines to come onto the PS&N and
take water in the unlikely event they needed water (the Erie had tanks at
several locations east and west of Friendship).  On the date in question the
Erie local freight was delayed en route and needed to take water on the PS&N
which they did.  The problem arose in that the Erie crew was required to
provide flag protection so that a PS&N train wouldn't hit them.  (I don't
recall whather the Erie crew was required to have permission of the PS&N
Dispatcher, but I think not).  It was the opinion of the PS&N Superintendent
that the Erie crew failed to flag (based principally on the word of the PS&N
Agent at Friendship who had a pretty good view of scene).  The ensuing
informal investigation by the Erie Trainmaster was unable to establish the
guilt of the Erie crew though the Erie promised to reiterate flagging
instructions.  The PS&N then considered the matter closed.  The Erie file,
however, has a pencil notation by the Erie Superintendent to the effect that
he believed "our" (Erie) crew was guilty.  M. J. Connor