Re: (erielack) Future Train Tracker?

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Todd Hollritt wrote:

> When can we expect something like this to track trains?
>
> http://www4.passur.com/teb.html
>
> Sorry... this was so amazing I had to send it! Back to your regular EL programing.
>
> Todd (ELHS1318)

This is off topic, but it is too cool not to mention.

There is something like that now, but not online with public web browser
access.

It's called ATCS and is in use on NS and CSX in quite a few areas and more
areas will be added as territories are upgraded with transmitter stations.

It works by digital radio transmissions and can be picked up by a scanner with
a discriminator tap which is interfaced to a computer. People use a program
named ATCS Monitor on windoze computers and create "model board" screens which
look like dispatcher displays. It displays train locations, signal aspects
and turnout positions in real time. There are "undergound" groups who run
invitation-only ATCS servers which allow others to view their territory's
train activity online in real time.

See http://www.atcsmon.com/ for more information.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services