(erielack) DL&W in Union County NJ > Rahway Valley

reposting this cool story from a thread on the CNJ Modeler list > DL&W content!

also, what is that DL&W video Carl refers to?

dmg

 Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 10:48:34 -0500
   From: "Frank Reilly"
Subject: CNJ Freight Salemanship & Hostiliy Overcome on the Rahway Valley RR

Carl,
County, NJ; at least a tiny portion of it and it also interchanged with
another railroad in Union County.  The town was Summit where the DL&W's
Morristown Line and Gladstone Branch join and where they interchanged
freight with the Rahway Valley RR.  The DL&W had a very small share of the
RV RR interchange business since the bulk of it went to the CNJ and LV.
    When I was a CNJ freight salesman (1969-1972) the RV was part of my
territory.  In 1969 the DL&W had about 2%, the CNJ had less than 10%, and
the LV had the remainder of the RV's freight interchange business.  It took
me about a year to change that radically.
   I visited every industry along the railroad and almost all were 100%
trucks, including some very big companies such as Union Tab Card (they made
the IBM cards for the old computers ... a very big business then),
warehouses, a liquor distributor, etc.  All of them had private sidings with
weeds growing between the rails and were ripe prospects.
   Initially I got them all to give us (CNJ - RV) only one or two cars on a
trail basis.  If they were happy with the service and transportation costs
(always lower than trucks), then we'd increase it to more carloads.  It
worked very well and took months to get the customers confidence, but they
saved money and received their goods in a timely manner and damage free
manner.  After a few months I'd have most or all of their business.
   Bob Clark, president of the RV, was very happy with my efforts and the
CNJ was very happy with all the truck diversions to his railroad.  The LV
wasn't too happy because much of their interchange business followed the new
business to the CNJ, but they didn't seem to care.
   During my first visit with the local company official I'd ask when was
the last time they had seen or been contacted by a CNJ, DL&W, or LV freight
salesmen.  The answer was usually "never" or "at least 5 or 10 years ago".
I kept in touch with them on a regular basis to maintain good relations and
see if they had any problems with rail shipments or any new business.  If
there was a problem I had it corrected promptly.  Then occassionally I'd
take them out to lunch, which helped our relationship.
   Some of my best days on the RV was when I'd spend the day with the RV
train crew riding with them in the locomotive, taking plenty of color
slides, and sharing a brew with them after the day was done.  The most
challenging part of the day was crossing Rt. 22 in Union (near the Flag
Ship).  The poor flagman took his life in his hands everyday trying to stop
the speeding cars on Rt. 22 that wanted to beat our train across the grade
crossing.
    The reason I was the first freight salesman the RV let on the property
in over 10 years was because when my predecessor had visited the RV he
heavily solicited piggyback shipments via the CNJ's "pig ramp" in
Elizabethport, cutting the boxcar business out for the RV.  That hurt the
RV's bottom line and they didn't like it.
   Bob Clark's father George was in charge at the time and he became down
right hostile to the CNJ.  Bob told me the last CNJ freight salesman that
stopped in their office (10 years ago) was "punched out by my father".  I
had heard that story from the Vice President of Sales on the CNJ, so when I
may my initial visit to the RV headquarters in Kenilworth I went in as an
interested railfan (with my camera).  After talking to Bob Clark for 10
minutes or so he asked what I did, and I said I was the new freight salesman
for the CNJ with my territory being central NJ, including the RV.  I was
ready to duck his punch, but he said, "You know Frank, CNJ freight salesmen
are not welcome on the RV."  I asked for the story which he told me, as I
had been told by the VP of sales on the CNJ.
   I pledged to him the words piggyback or TOFC would never be spoken by me
on his property to any industries on the RV.  I kept my pledge.  I said I
would only go after new business that was currently moving by truck.  After
a few weeks the new business began to materialize.  Bob Clark and I became
friends and continued our business (and railfan) relationship until I left
the CNJ in 1972 to create the Morris County Dept. of Transportation
Management, from which I just retired on Sept. 1, 2004.
    I really enjoyed working with the folks on the RV and their customers.
          Frank Reilly, retired and loving it!

>From: "carl barna"
>To: <CNJ-MODELER_@_yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: Re: [CNJ-MODELER] Re: CNJ tank car traffic
>Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 15:45:37 -0700
>
>Howdy - -
>
>Does anyone here have any pics of these small-town coal - oil - lumber yard
>dealers?
>
>They seem to be actually not that well covered in the model railroad mags,
>which is hard to believe since they make great small industries at which
>you can spot a variety of car types. Not unlike the teamtrack, the
>universal industry.
>
>Just got a flyer from Fannwood's Channel 35. Over the years, Joe Nagy and
>crew have done a number of videos on NJ railroads.  A new one called "
>Fifty Years after the Age of Steam" claims to show footage of the LV
>switching Perth Amboy.  Don't know how much is there, but it looks like I
>may have to ask Santa for it.
>
>They also have a video on the DL&W in Union County. Now, I didn't know the
>Lackawana ran in Union County. They also have coverage on the SIRT that I
>may have to get as well.
>
>Cheers!

- --
I n t e g r a t e d  I n f o r m a t i o n  S o l u t i o n s
        L u c e n t   T e c h n o l o g i e s
           YOUR FIRST STOP FOR INFORMATION
        VISIT US AT: http://infoview.lucent.com
david goessling                          dgoessling_@_lucent.com
(ph) 908.582.4766                            (fx) 908.582.7001
600-700 Mountain Avenue                            Room 3A-302
Murray Hill, New Jersey                                  07974