From: "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_lucent.com>
Sent: Dec 6, 2004 8:32 AM
To: "'Mailgroup (E-mail) '" <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
Subject: (erielack) HO scale EL modelers, stuff you might not know...

For those of you who model 1960s and 1970s EL, this is for you....

DL&W and Erie modelers have had it relatively easy in getting era-specific rolling stock, but it seems as if the 1960s/1970s era has been a big black hole in the modeling continuum. Fortunately, manufacturers such as Atlas, Athearn and Accurail have started to fill this vast void. But many people don't know of other smaller manufacturers that make "niche" kits for this same time frame that help add variety to one's layout. I was talking with Jay Held about these - he hadn't heard of these companies, so I thought as a public service to the list I'd share them here.

Rail Yard Models
(http://www.railyardmodels.com <http://www.railyardmodels.com> )

These guys make resin kits of more modern cars. I personally have their PC 60' "Kellogg's" boxcar, and it is a superb kit. Their announced PC gon would also be correct for the EL timeframe, as is their NYC hot coil steel cars (good for you Youngstown-area modelers). They assemble pretty simply, and aren't nearly as daunting as many other resin kits out there.

Modeler's Choice
(http://www.modelerschoice.com <http://www.modelerschoice.com> )

These guys have taken an entirely different approach. They're making freight cars of all sorts in the 1960s/1970s era (though they only have 6 models out so far, they have photos of many, many more pre-production cars). The "kits," such as they are, consist of laser-cut styrene sides. The modeler adds ends, roof, underframe, trucks, and detail parts (they also offer the ends/roof/underframes as optional packages, recommended). The kits are on a par with a resin kit in terms of assembly difficulty, but the cars you end up with are wonderful and distinctive models. I have a GN double-door plug door rib-side boxcar and the Soo Line rib-side car, and they're both great. I wrote them to see if they'd consider doing any of the myriad of EL gons (something we desperately need) - obviously, they can only do welded cars using this method. Hey Jay, what welded gons did the EL have?

By the way, these guys also sell laser-cut styrene kits for the cabin on EL T-series transfer cabooses - just build your own underframe, and you're good to go!

Anyone know of any other model making companies that product 60s/70s-era stuff that can be highlighted here?

	- Paul

Paul R. Tupaczewski_______________________
Lucent Technologies
Mobility Solutions                              Phone: 973-386-4966
MASD IMS/CDMA Trials and                 Fax: 973-386-4147
Demonstrations Group
67 Whippany Road, Room 15D-116
Whippany, NJ 07981