RE: (erielack) Train symbols (was: Erie Lackawanna (2))

> Which also raises a similiar question:  Why were NY100 and
> CX99 named the way
> they were, as opposed to NY1 or CX1, since these were the
> hottest runs on the
> system in the 1970's?
>
> NY100 was e/b, which represents New York, and CX I'm assuming
> are call
> letters for Chicago, but beyond that, why -100 and -99?
>
> Interesting to hear more if anyone has any other infor...
>
> Rich Behrendt
> ELHS #384

I assume the higher the number, the hotter the train (but wasn't CX-97 just
a regular manifest?)

The lower numbered freights (e.g., HB-1, CS-9, SC-8, etc.) I believe were
carry-overs from DL&W days (all Lackawanna's freight symbols had low
numbers), while the larger numbers were Erie-based.

"CX" has always stood for Croxton (c'mon, Rich - you're from NJ! :)

Remember, there was NY-99, westbound out of Croxton. I don't think there
were ANY symbols with Chicago in them, were there?

And then of course the DL&W-style paired "start-finish" symbols - HB
(Hoboken-Binghamton), CS (Croxton-Scranton), etc.

Still perplexes me a little, but I just assume they combined Erie and DL&W
train symbols on the new road.

	- Paul

- --
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.