RE: (erielack) RE: Train symbols REMEMBERED

Art Erdman wrote:

> Let me see if I can remember that far back. When I hired out
> in 1966, we had SC2 and NY98 east and HS9 and X-1 west.
> Around 1967, SC2 became SC8. Early 1970's. SC8 became PN98,
> then back to SC8 mid-1970's. Also early 1970s' X-1 went over
> to the Erie side as the westbound afternoon Ordinary (also
> called 89, if one of the Fast Freight crews caught it). When
> Nicholson Tunnel caved in, only SC8 and CS9 operated between
> Croxton and Scranton. Then came the Moonshower Plan to
> operate via the freights via Scranton and single track the
> Delaware Division and the rest is history.

Thank you, Art! This answers a lot! (I always wondered where X-1 disappeared to!)

Of course, these answers bring up more questions for me:

- - Prior to PN98, did SC2/SC8 start west of Scranton? Was there a similar junk train that worked between Marion-Scranton?
- - When PN98 became SC8 again, did it no longer start at Marion? Again, was a replacement junk train made up between Marion-Scranton, or was there no longer a need for it?