(erielack) Re: elections vs self appointment

In thinking this matter through, I myself have reversed my stand on the elections idea. Originally I was for elections of the officers. However, when I think back to the days when I was a member of the Garden State Model Railroad club, everything was voted on. One group would come in, win favor and get the votes for their project. A year later, that group would lose favor or disappear and another group would come in and do the same thing. Meanwhile, the railroad was constantly being remodeled and not one scene was ever completed. Look at Harold Werthwein's layout. One guy in charge, one vision and no voting. The people who work on his layout do so because the see his vision and want to be a part of it. They do not go there to change his vision, they go to make it a reality. When I joint the ELHS many years ago, there were 2 diamonds a year and they were black and white. Don't get me wrong, they were and still are great publications, but compare them to the latest issues. My point here is that the ELHS has been steadily improving over the years. The only problem I have with the ELHS is access to the archives. I believe (and it may work this way now) that members should be permitted into the archives either by appointment or by having scheduled days when it will be opened. Of course the visitors should be supervised and there should be no "digging around". One last point. Do not confuse the right to vote as an all encompassing entitlement. That right is only meant for the elections of Federal, state and local governments. Historical societies are non profit businesses. For X amount of money you get X benefits. Just like in a hobby shop $3 gets you 1 package of Kadee couplers. You don't vote for who will own your local hobby shop. If you don't like your local hobby shop you can open your own or go elsewhere. That is what American freedom is all about. I think if you really look at what you are getting for your money, the ELHS is a pretty good deal.

Blake D. Tatar

Custom painting, repairs and modifications
of model railroad equipment. Brass a Specialty.

E-mail : BDTatar_@_worldnet.att.net
Website @ : www.BlakeDTatar.com

All mail is scanned by Norton Internet Security
2005 prior to sending!