Re: (erielack) Question re: the Diamond (2)

Rich,

Either you are perpetrating a farcical joke few will get or, if indeed
you are so unaware if the ELHS has a written contract with AJP, maybe
you really don't have enough time to spend on ELHS business matters. How
do you expect people to believe that you attend the Board meetings, yet
would have so little knowledge about the single largest recurring
expenditure the ELHS has? Frankly, I give you more credit for staying
abreast of monetary matters than that.

I would certainly debate your statement the exposure of not having a
written contract is "low". First of all, almost anyone with any business
sense realizes you cannot conduct business in these days and times on
handshake agreements and presume all parties will live up to their part
of the bargain. Without having contractually binding deliverables,
either party, through no malice of intent, could create potentially
difficult and serious issues for the other.

Again, regarding the "low" exposure, let's say hypothetically (and with
a declining dollar isn't such a stretch) if for some reason AJP decided
they could not profitably continue publishing the Diamond, say due to
rising paper costs and said they had to raise prices by $2000 per issue,
what position would the ELHS be in? How long would it take to find
another publisher or bring the editing and layout back in house and then
have an issue ready? You honestly believe that is "low" exposure? The
ELHS' relationship is no longer such it is only a matter of finding a
new printer, but now would involve finding a new editor, getting
materials returned, getting the operation going again and finding a new
printer. Hardly an insubstantial matter.

I have to say, I feel if you are not in a position or not willing to
answer the question definitively, you do a disservice to the subscribers
by providing a speculative reply. There are certainly ELHS Board members
on this list who can provide such a response and I cannot imagine you
would not have conferred with them prior to your response. After having
almost two weeks to consider the question, I feel such an ambiguous
reply is utterly inadequate.

Regards,

Will Shultz

RBehre8599_@_aol.com wrote:

>Paul,
>To be honest, I truely don't know if we have a written contract or not...
>
>I tend to thing we probably don't - we may simply have a memorandum of
>understanding or a proposal, and since we don't pay for anything we don't receive,
>our risk is rather low for any kind of exposure...
>
>Rich Behrendt
>ELHS #384

End of EL List Daily V3 #1499