Re: (erielack) Erie & B & O

To the best of my knowledge, the Erie had nothing more than an agent in
Indianapolis. I would assume that even if the Erie ran through to Indy
(Which is quite possible), the train would have terminated either at B&O's
State Street Yard (Eastside and a rather large flat yard) or Moorefield Yard
(A Westside flat yard, near the Indy Motor Speedway). Most likely State, as
that would permit B&O switchers to move on the Indianapolis Union trackage
and get to the B&O freighthouse, on Delaware Street, near Indpls Union
Station (The last freighthouse to be torn down).

The Cardinal is close to the Monon (At the time, Chicago, Indianapolis and
Louisville RR)-CH&D routing. The Indy-Cincy portion is correct (But with
nearly all the semaphores replaced with vertical 3 light signals), but west
of Union Station, the train goes on the remnant of the PRR St. Louis line,
to the PRR line to Frankfort and then to the P&E for the run to
Crawfordsville and a return to Monon trackage.

Michael Dye

>From: TrainGG1_@_aol.com
>
>I thought I saw (in a color book on the EL) photos of EL power in both
>Cincinnati and Indianapolis...did this power "run through" as part of a
>power pool
>or what? Did the ERIE and/or EL maintain any real presence in these places
>(i.e.: do local switching, yard trains, etc) other than an office?
>
>I presume the ERIE never ran any passenger service to these cities --
>although today you can ride Amtrak's CARDINAL betw Indianapolis and
>Cincinnati --
>unfortunately during the night (which means you will not be able to witness
>those
>semaphore signals (which I understand are still in service along that line)
>in action. (As an side, this routing of the CARDINAL is a recreation of a
>one-time through Chicago-Cincinnati passenger route involving the CH&D and
>the
>Monon via Indianapolis.)
>
>Bill Shapotkin

End of EL List Daily V3 #1506