RE: (erielack) Correction?--I got Will beat

I have Will beat.  I live a quarter mile from the old DL&W tracks in
Chinchilla/Clarks Summit.  Far enough away to not be disturbed, but close
enough to hear the gentle rumble of trains passing through.  My six mile
drive to work parallells the tracks, and I work at the old Scranton yards
in the Office and Storage Building (constructed 1910).  My job is to
maintain our research library (3,000 items and growing) and process our
archival collection (nearly 1,000 boxes of DL&W, Erie and Lehigh Valley
records) and a bit of other ods and ends that could keep 100 people busy.

My biggest recent success was assisting with the exterior restoration of
the Mattes Street Tower.  It again is roofed with green "Spanish Mission"
type tiles, the upper windows are being restored (in accordance to original
drawings), and the lower windows and doors are being worked on.  The
interior spiral staircase has been restored.  Now, if I can only convince
the boss to restore the interior and move my office there.

Its a hard job, but somebody has to do it.

Pat McKnight
Historian/Archivist
Steamtown NHS

                      William Shultz
                      <wshultz1_@_twcny.rr.co        To:       Michael Steinberg <u34ch@sbcglobal.net>
                      m>                           cc:       erielack_@_lists.railfan.net, (bcc: Pat
                      Sent by:                      McKnight/STEA/NPS)
                      erielack-owner_@_lists.        Subject:  RE: (erielack) Correction?
                      railfan.net

                      12/29/2004 01:48 AM
                      EST
                      Please respond to
                      William Shultz

Well I have you all beat, I drive along side and live by the former DL&W
Ithaca Branch and Lehigh Valley EC&N, I work where the former EL
connector track from the ex Erie main to the DL&W ex-main runs right in
front of the building (I look out the windows from the third floor where
I am to see the LAL/B&H Alco Centuries passing below usually M-W-F.) and
Oh! I drive to and from work along the old NYC Falls Road now NS
(they've been adding new tracks to the former NYC yard where the NYC and
DL&W used to interchange). Last but not least, the former DL&W Painted
Post station is a block away and nicely preserved as the home of the
local Historical Society.

Sorry guys. :p

Will Shultz

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 00:23 -0600, Michael Steinberg wrote:
> I work on the rails, but unfortunately nowhere near the Erie or the
DL&W...