(erielack) Operations: Baggage cars on freight trains

Folks,

Rich Pennisi and I were discussing off-line about baggage and express cars, and we both thought the list might enjoy the discussion. I had asked him about the express cars, and he mentioned that occasionally you'd see a baggage car in a freight train. I asked him if this practice ended after the end of through passenger service in 1970. Here's the reply:

To answer your question yes and no.  It was prior to 1970 and after 1970.  Prior to 1970 would indicate coming back in interchange service.  After 1970 it was just company supplies from pencils to desks to accounting supplies to toiletries etc being shipped from the company stores department in Hornell or where ever maybe even Marion.  They would come to Hoboken or Croxton for unloading for the division.  I recall seeing a baggage car in a local around Gang Mills in one of the Morning Sun books.  The baggage or box cars could have been cut in NY 74 or NY 98 there.

I remember seeing them in trains but was caught off guard and didn't photogrpah them.  I'm sure someone in upstate NY has some photos of this action.

The baggage cars were usually in the rear 10 cars or so of a train.

Rich