Re: (erielack) Ghost Train

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://www.Railfan.net/lists/listthumb.cgi?erielack-04-05-05

nashvill.jpg (image/jpeg, 300x223 21253 bytes)

Check out the story & picture below.
Ron

      Library of Congress photograph "Sinews of War", by Benjamin Bacon,
page 235, "The funeral car in which
    Lincoln lay was built by USMRR as the president's special car in 1863 in
    Alexandria, Virginia. It's first use however was for the funeral trip.
It
    was a heavy car, mounted on four sets of four-wheel trucks, and was
painted
    a chocolate brown. On its side were the words "United States." Under
this
    was the national coat of arms. The car had a bedroom. and parlor, all
    connected by an aisle running the full length of the coach."
      The account goes on to mention the length of the train was nine cars,
    was pulled by a Baltimore and Ohio Railroad engine as far as Baltimore.
    Departing Baltimore the train was pulled by a Pennsylvania Railroad
    locomotive to Harrisburg. When it left Harrisburg, the Pennsylvania RR
    engine was number 331. On leaving New York the train was pulled by a
    New York Central engine. Various other engines pulled the train through
Erie,
    Cleveland, Columbus and Chicago. On the last leg of the trip the train
was
    pulled by an engine of the Chicago,Alton and St. Louis Railroad.

     The locomotive Nashville of the Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati
Railroad pulled the Lincoln funeral train for part of the 1,666-mile
distance from Washington to Springfield, Illinois. It was bedecked with
bunting, special black fringed presidential flags and a portrait of Lincoln.