RE: (erielack) Re: EL SD45-2 3680 has been retired

> It is a shame that no thought was given within the railfan
> community to
> preserve this locomotive. To my knowledge no EL or
> predecessor EMD road
> units have been preserved in EL's service area. Hopefully
> someone can come
> forward to work with CSX to save this unit.

The problem here is that even "old" EMD units like the 3680 still have fairly high resale value in today's market. Look at the flood of former SP/SSW/D&RGW "Tunnel Motors" that have been sold to regionals around the country. The 3680 is still good rebuild fodder for others, and may see service yet again.

Speaking of ex-EL SD's, has anyone been able to find out what happened to the former WC 6634? (ex-EL SDP45)  Is it scrap? Rebuilt?