Re: (erielack) Removal of DL&W bridge in Rockaway Borough

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://www.Railfan.net/lists/listthumb.cgi?erielack-04-08-05

DSC00158.jpg (image/jpeg, 1600x1200 923057 bytes)
DSC00159.jpg (image/jpeg, 1600x1200 925006 bytes)

- --- Christopher Vitz <cvitz_@_hotmail.com> wrote:
> The NJDOT is finally going to remove the Route 46 bridge over the
> original alignment of the DL&W in Rockaway Borough.  This is the bridge
> on the east side of the Borough just east of the intersection of Route
> 46 and Main Street.
>
> I would suggest getting any photos now.

Thanks for the heads up.  I have them already, and once walked through the
'tunnel'.

This is one of five railroad bridge projects underway or planned in the
Dover and Rockaway area, from the west:

 - US 46 over DLW and Dover & Rockaway RR at west end of town, near
Travelers Diner and Ayers Chevrolet.

 - Mount Prospect Street over DLW.

 - South Salem Street over DLW.

 - Rockaway Road, now under construction.  The two main spans over the
railroad and Rockawy River are still there, with the river span being
removed now.  The south abutment appears to be done; the north one is
being built now.  Two photos attached from the north side taken Monday.

 - US 46 over DLW Rockaway Loop, as you describe, now beginning
construction.  Also in the area, behind D&M Auto Body, is the Morris
County Traction line's rock cut.  BTW, the D&M building is 'set back' on
its west end to CLEAR THE RAILROAD!

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey