(erielack) TRAINS ARTICLE

I just finished reading the most recent TRAINS article on B&O's
Sandpatch Grade.  I'm wondering if any of the grades on the Erie (Gulf
Summit) or Lackawanna in the Poconos came close to the things this
article reported.  I have heard that Lackawanna crews used braking only
on straight sections of track allowing the trains to roll through curves
- - was that true?  I also know that most freights had to stop to set
retainers before entering grades.  I'm sure all of this took a lot of
time.  When the train descended the grade did they have to stop and
reset all of the retainers before continuing at speed?  I've never heard
much said about that.

Ed Montgomery