Re:(erielack) TRAINS ARTICLE

Ed and all,

Retainers would be turned up at the top of the grade and would be turned down at the bottom.  Yes -- it took time.  But it was better than the alternative.

Randy Brown
I just finished reading the most recent TRAINS article on B&O's Sandpatch Grade.  I'm wondering if any of the grades on the Erie (Gulf Summit) or Lackawanna in the Poconos came close to the things this article reported.  I have heard that Lackawanna crews used braking only on straight sections of track allowing the trains to roll through curves - was that true?  I also know that most freights had to stop to set retainers before entering grades.  I'm sure all of this took a lot of time.  When the train descended the grade did they have to stop and reset all of the retainers before continuing at speed?  I've never heard much said about that.

Ed Montgomery