Re: (erielack) TRAINS ARTICLE

In a message dated 4/9/2005 11:41:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Edward.Montgomery_@_fcps.edu writes:

Ed

I just  finished reading the most recent TRAINS article on B&O's
Sandpatch  Grade.  I'm wondering if any of the grades on the Erie (Gulf
Summit)  or Lackawanna in the Poconos came close to the things this
article  reported.

Haven't read it yet.  Hope to on vacation.  I doubt that the Erie  or
Lackawanna grades were quiet as steep as Sandpatch.

I have  heard that Lackawanna crews used braking only
on straight sections of track  allowing the trains to roll through curves
- - was that  true?

NOT ON STEEP GRADES. Every territory has its own feel.

I also  know that most freights had to stop to set
retainers before entering  grades.  I'm sure all of this took a lot of
time.  When the train  descended the grade did they have to stop and
reset all of the retainers  before continuing at speed?  I've never heard
much said about  that.

YEP.  DEPENDING ON TONNAGE, AND THE ENGINEER,  THE HEAD BRAKEMAN  WOULD SET
UP A SPECIFIC NUMBER OF BRAKES.  WHAT EVER THE ENGINEER  DESIRED.  MAYBE 10 -
15,  or maybe as many as 25-30.

Yes what went on had to be taken back off.

Bob