RE: Subject: (erielack) ELHS Eastern Region Spring Meeting Report

> One of the highlights for me was, during Walt Appels' films,
> the footage
> he had of the SJ Groves U-boats at work in constructing I-280 through
> the Oranges. I did't get a chance to ask - did they get there via the
> ex-DLW line that runs adjacent to the highway?

Nope, the SJ Groves equipment was brought in via the EL (ex-Erie) Caldwell Branch down to Essex Fells, then taken by the M&E from there to the location where 280 passes over the M&E today in Roseland. A steep curving ramp was built to get the equipment onto the Groves tracks down the center of Route 280. Once highway excavation was complete, the equipment left via the same route. The RS2 was sold to a line in Minnesota, I believe, and the two U33Cs were sold to the Burlington Northern (there's a shot in Preston Cook's EL book with an SJ Groves unit trailing the EL motive power on a westbound on the west end of the road)