(erielack) RE: Morristown Bumping Block

The Morristown Bumping Block was NOT moved.

Lafayette Avenue was constructed along with Route 287 in the 1960's.
Lafayette Avenue opened in 1973.  I took a quick look through our old plans
in the office and one from 1950 for Morris Avenue reconstruction showed a
freight house on the station side of Morris Avenue opposite of and half way
between Pine Street and King Street.  The freight house came out almost to
Morris Avenue right near where the bumper block is.   There are no tracks
shown but I would venture to guess that a track ran down the side of the
freight house and ended at that block.

The entire area was changed when Lafayette Avenue was constructed.   I
seriously doubt anyone would try to move on of those bumper blocks.  Those
were probably poured in place and are in the ground at least a few feet.   A
cubic foot of concrete weighs about 150 lbs so it probably weighs upwards of
20 tons.  It could be moved, but it would be too costly to do so.   It
probably remains there because it was too costly to remove it.

Chris Vitz,
Morris County Engineering Dept.