RE: (erielack) Morristown Bumping Block

Rich Wisneski wrote:

 > I beg to differ, but I'm reasonably sure that the concrete
 > bumping block is original and was at the end of the track
 > used for LCL operation at Morristown.  If I'm not mistaken,
 > lister G.W. (Bill) Herkner used to unload box cars there when
 > he first started working for the DL&W as a summer employee in
 > the 1950's.  I believe the reason it is visible now is that
 > all the large trees/bushes which used to stand in that area
 > were recently cut down.   I'll check a val map next week and
 > see if that clears things up.

I'll "re-beg" to differ :)

Attached is a very quick map I've drawn up of the bumper's location. I have
never seen a photo of a track where the bumper is, much less an LCL
operation running out of the front driveway of the station!

The express building was to the west of the station (upper left corner of
the map, right below where the M&E Enginehouse is).  There is NO room for
the track to come in off the DL&W where this bumper is. The curves would be
far too sharp to negotiate.

	- Paul