RE: (erielack) Morristown Bumping Block

I will also make one other observation: At the ELHS meeting, Paul Cappeloni had a blueprint diagram of a standard DL&W concrete bumper (little known fact - at least to me - the actual "bumping face" where the coupler would hit was a granite block!). The bumper specs state that the bottom should be "poured to solid surface" - implying there's quite a bit more concrete below the ground than one might expect.

Also, moving such a large chunk of concrete is difficult, and the block is more easily damaged. The block in Morristown appeared to be in very good condition. I defer to Rich Wisneski and Chris Vitz's explanations about the freight house being there.