Re:RE: (erielack) Morristown Bumping Block

It has become obvious to me, from the information introduced on this list, that the block was poured in place early in the 20th century and has remained unmoved since.

You have evidence from an experienced professional engineer that it is bigger than you see and weighs at least 10 tons.  You have evidence from another lister that it has been there a number of years.

Against that, you have a lot of "I didn't see it," "I never noticed it," or "I can't find it in old photographs."  You also have testimony that it was buried in under- and overgrowth, probaly put there yars ago when somebody (rightly) decided not to move it.

The recent "cable scars" could have come from the people removing the trees using it as a "deadman" or from their attempt to remove it.

Whether it existed if nobody saw it implies a philosophical discussion way beyond my scope and that of this list.  Shouldn't some of this energy go toward promoting a plaque explaining to the public what it is?

Randy Brown, who never saw it.
One more thing,
I just found a picture in "The Route Of Phoebe Snow" book by Sheldon King on page 18.
It shows Morristown station looking east. There is a track in the foreground to the right of the eastbound main. It joins the main just before the platform. There is a track switching off this one that heads out in the direction of this block and right at the side of this picture, This track splits into two. I hope this makes some kind of sense.