Re: (erielack) One more SJ Groves EL shot

I'm not sure why everything didn't go out together, either, but the move with
the RS2/3 went out with a bang,... literally!!! By the time the equipment was
moved off the highway the operators who had run the trains had moved on to
other constrution sites leaving only a small mechanical staff to prep and move
everything. They decided to use the RS2/3 to bring all the dumpcars down in one
move and left enough track west of the connection to claer the switch up the
roadway and then back down to the M&E's track to hand the train over to us for
movement to Essex Fells. Only one problem, the mechanic running the train did
not how to use the Automatic Brake Valve!!! He came downgrade using only the
Independent Brake and slammed into the bumper at the end of track smashing in
the front footboards, steps and breastplate on the engine. I was standing down
below the bridge and saw the train go roaring by with the engine brakes
squealing and wheels sliding. When they hit the bumper the dumpcars jumped straight
up in the air and dust flew everywhere. How nothing derailed is beyond me.
The Grove's welders and mechanics frantically rushed to rebuild the the wrecked
parts in Essex Fells Yard as the E-L was on its way to pick up the train. I
have never seen such severe damage repaired so quickly in all my years on the
railroad.

Someone commented on the Grove's personnel who ran the trains as not having
any prior railroad experience. That was not true. The first two Engineers
chosen were both ex-railroad men. One had been a DL&W Brakeman (list content
satified) but I can't recall his name. He had run locomotives a couple of times when
an Engineer let him take a crack at it. The other Engineer was named Andy
Rinko who had been a D&H fireman on steam locomotives but never saw or ran any of
their diesels. He had quite a bit throttle time before being furloghed which
is why both men wound up in heavy construction work. Andy Rinko reminded me a
lot of Andy Barbera of Phoebe Snow fame both in looks and personality. He even
wore a white Kromer cap like many of the Lackawanna men did. Later, of
course, other heavy equipment operators from the Operating Engineers Union Local 825
qualified to run the trains. The railroad unions tried to force Groves to use
their men but lost out as it was a captive operations not conected to the
general railroad system. Except for times when equipment moved in or out the
connection was severed. This also exempted Groves from ICC regulations regarding
inspections and recordkeeping.

One correction on an earlier post of mine. The RS2/3 was a former Minneapolis
Transfer RR unit acquired through a broker. I may have photgarphed on my trip
on the Empire Builder in the summer of 1969 as I caught several of their
units during our layover in Minneapolis Union Terminal while the CB&Q E's were
being swapped for the GN F's.

Al Holleuffer