Re: (erielack) Three Questions - , JC Penny Cars

In a message dated 4/17/2005 12:38:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
vincejlee_@_yahoo.com writes:

ELdispatcher_@_aol.com wrote

"The Box cars (there were usually 4  or 5 cars per night) on

NY99 were from JC Penneys and were car floated  over from NY
to make the connection from what I
remember.  At a  later date they may have been loaded on the

Jersey side and then added  to 99 at Croxton, but I don't
know where they might have been loaded.
The empties mostly returned in ordinary freight.  Penneys
used  mostly 40 foot box cars for the  loads."

Rich:

In the latter days of the EL and into Conrail the Second Northern would  pull
JC Penny late in the day, which was the last siding on the Industrial track
at the north end of Ridgefield. The First Northern would come down every
evening  and the Second Northern would tack the hand full of  JC Penny cars on the
head end right behind the engine. I was always told these were hot cars to
make  99 out of Croxton that evening.

If I recall the JC Penny building had a two track siding in the  building.
Not sure if they loaded through one car into the cars on the  second siding, or
if the nearest track to the dock was sufficient to handle all  there needs.
I was always the head man back then, and never got into the  building.

Bob Bahrs