Re: Re:RE: (erielack) Phoebe Snow and other Buffalo Trains

BJC - Good obervation. The PRR Buffalo-NY City option, which I think almost
always involved a change of trains, usually at Harrisburg or Baltimore, died
with the advent of Amtrak IIRC, and thus outlasted the EL route.  Another
exercise is to compile an all-time list of viable NY Harbor-Buffalo/Niagara
Frontier routes which add the WS and NYO&W-WS or NYO&W-NYC(RW&O), etc.  The
reduction in absolute physical capacity measured by tracks between the
Niagara Frontier and New York Harbor between c. 1920 and now is staggering.
The Erie, LV, DL&W, and WS were each at least double-track, the NYC, with
exceptions especially east of Schenectady, was effectively 4 track, the PRR
constricted to single track in places on its Buffalo route, and the
NYO&W-RW&O single-track route arguably gave 14 NY-Bflo/NF tracks versus 4 (2
NYC, 1 Erie, and 1 PRR) today.   MJC