(erielack) Dover-Rockaway Road bridge progress

The contractor made great progress during the week I was in Florida (no
trains to report there):

- - The span over the Rockaway River is gone.  Pieces of its steelwork are
being taken to Conca & Mavaglia's scrap yard in Dover.  The north upright
support (concrete) is also gone.

- - The north abutment is taking shape.  I think the approach roads will be
raised to eliminate the dip north of the bridge.

The span over the railroad is still there, with catenary insulators
attached and holding up the wire.  New supports are on both sides of the
bridge, but not yet attached to the wire.  If I were the contractor, I'd
have NJT connect the new stuff and disconnect the old stuff late one
night, have a LARGE crane pick the span up and place it on the ground
where it could be cut up out of the way.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey

http://www.geocities.com/gkazin/index.html