Re: (erielack) DL&W Freight & Express Cars

In a message dated 4/20/05 1:39:28 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
doubletrack_@_comcast.net writes:

> What Lackawanna did have was several former Troop Sleeper/Kitchen cars
> Converted to Express  they were 50+feet  long  and  had  End Diaphrams
> Side loading doors were 8ft youngstowm type I think.... "Making them
> LOOK like theyre BOx Cars"  Connecting RR  NYC Also had them as did
> several others  and several companies are Making kits  or soon will be
> (Walthers)

Several other RRs converted ex-Army troop sleeper & kitchen cars to baggage
or express service.  One was the Monon (Chicago Indianapolis & Louisville),
which shared terminal space with Erie Lackawanna at Dearborn Station in Chicago,
and had a joint passenger station at Hammond, IN.

Micro Trains now has troop sleepers & kitchen cars in N scale.

- --Ken Weller in Indiana