RE: (erielack) RE: Speaking of radios

> Todd:
>
> "...the two I know off hand was the large radio tower in Hoboken and a
> tower near the North Newark station on the Greenwood Lake Division."
>
> Are you referring to the tall gray lattice frame tower along side the
> tracks in North Newark?  If so, I always wondered what that was for,
> since it had an odd shaped dish/disc on it.  Always thought
> it belonged
> to NJ Bell.

We saw the base of this tower when we did our little "discovery day" along this part of the Boonton Line right after NJT stopped running over it a few years back. At that time, all that was left was a concrete pad with brackets for the tower. The tower itself, and the equipment shack under it, were gone.

Attached is a photo of said tower at the west end of North Newark station.

I believe (and I think Bill Sheppard's diagram book shows it as such) this tower was a radio repeater so that EL trains along the Boonton Line always had a good radio signal. There were other repeaters, but I don't remember where.