Re: (erielack) The Roustabout...

In a message dated 4/21/2005 5:26:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
surfbeachjohn_@_hotmail.com writes:

Back in  1963 while enjoying the serenity of the old Paterson Junction Yard,
in  Clifton, New Jersey, I happened upon a bit of E.L. history.  It was a
large piece of paper laying at the bottom of the old turntable pit that at
the time wasen't quite filled in yet.  It was a Erie-Lackawanna  Railroad Co.
form ST-5.  It had following listed on it:

Train:  RN. Roustabout
Conductor: RP. Smith
Departure: Croxton
Date:  2-19-63
Arrivial: Paterson
Time: 5:20 PM

The Train List then went  on to note some 81 cars in it's consist.  Fun to
dig it out of the  old scrapbook and look over the Car Initials and
especially the cars  contents and final destinations, along with the
Consignee's.  This  thing is so detailed that it even lists a Wabash boxcar
with its contents  listed as Tapioca, Consignee... General Foods.

Can somebody tell me a  little bit about this particular train?

John
Ronald P Smith was a 1948 Lackawanna man. I just saw him two weeks ago  at a
gathering of Lackawanna Veterans at the Masonic Lodge in  Netcong.   Probable
one of the smallest guys on the Railroad. The guys  were kidding him that day,
about always being a 16 hour man.   He  chuckled and said he was a bad
switchman.

I think with 81 one cars it didn't matter how good or bad you  were.   16
hours could come very easily.

I"m not sure if this job did local industries between Croxton and Paterson
which was RN, or it just made drops and pick ups?

What can you tell us about the job from your paperwork?   Does it  give
times?  Engine numbers?   List every Car?   Does  it say who each car is for?  Does
it batch the cars by locations? Can you  retype it for us?

Thanks for sharing
Bob Bahrs