(erielack) Speaking of radios

What about permanent speed restriction signs for speed restricted curves?
The DL&W used them throughout their system with a black rectangular metal
sign market with the speed limit at that point --e.g., 65--cut out of the
metal, for visibility day or night.  If another speed restriction occurred
within 2(?) miles, a second diamond-shaped yellow marker (showing the
second speed restriction) was placed above the black marker.  In
situations, such as on the NJ Cut-Off, where there were long stretches
without any speed restrictions, a single yellow market was placed in
advance of the actual speed restriction--it was a fixed distance, but I'd
have to consult an old employee timetable to confirm the exact
distance--and then a single black marker was placed at the actual start of
the permanent speed restriction.  This was a simple and elegant way to post
the speed limits and I wonder why these signs weren't maintained or
replaced over time post-EL.  I don't believe that any remain on NJ Transit
now and I've always wondered if it isn't safer to have engineers rely to
some extent on posted markers rather than memory.  I'm curious, what did
the Erie use to mark permanent speed restrictions?

                      Smtimko_@_aol.com
                      Sent by:
                      erielack-owner_@_list To:     vze3fhdr@verizon.net
                      s.elhts.org                 wpdj61_@_optonline.net
                                          cc:     erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
                                          Subject:
                      04/21/2005 08:01 PM         Re: (erielack) RE: Speaking of radios
                      Please respond to
                      Smtimko

Those poles with the white stripes were used pretty much system wide.

It allowed the engineer to know just where the speed restriction was---say

he received a train order saying 10 MPH at MP 88.70.....he could judge it
by
the  poles.

Now we use whole mileposts or physical characteristics, (bridge or
crossing,
etc.).  On some roads Temporary Speed Signs are used to mark  the
restrictions.

smt