(erielack) EL "freelanced" layouts...

Good afternoon all,

Over lunch here I was talking with a friend of mine about layout planning, and how in recent years, there has been a definite shift towards prototype modeling (vs. freelanced railroad modeling - such as famed roads as the Virginian & Ohio, Alleghany Midland, Ohio Southern, etc.). Excellent examples of prototype modeling are Harold Werthwein's HO scale Erie Delaware Division and Jeff Mutter's HO scale EL Scranton Division.

However, I've also noticed the "freelanced prototype" concept is also picking up steam (sorry for the horrible pun!). I've been seeing more articles on layouts that represent a fictional division of a prototype layout (think of the "Indianapolis Division of the Erie Lackawanna"), where the owner "stretches" or "repurposes" the railroad's history to allow it to be located in a different location than it was prototypically located.

I have seen at least one "freelanced" EL layout in magazines - does anyone on this list have an EL freelanced layout they'd care to share with us?