Re: (erielack) DL&W Freight Cars

Andy,

I suppose it could have happened. Keep in mind express boxcars were not
purchased in large quantities like a general freight pool box was so a
railroad would likely have not purchased more than were needed to cover
the service intended. Being passenger equipment they were also billed at
a passenger rate and not the lower freight rate for mileage which would
discourage their use unless the railroads involved had other agreements
or the economics of what they were hauling warranted their use.

Then too, I am not sure if being members of REA would have been a
factor. Some non compete agreement or something? You could always say
the car was on short term lease to REA due to a car shortage or you
could run it just because you like the way it looks. It's your railroad
and if someone doesn't like it too bad. :)

Regards,

Will Shultz