(erielack) Radios & Speedometers

It seems like a good time for a little experience-based input:

Putting a "Radio Equipped" decal on a loco was not sufficient, nor was leaving it there decades after the radio expired. The fact is, until the second generation units came along in the 60s, radio contact was an unexpected blessing.

In addition to bum radios and no radios, there were very many dead zones, ranging from along the Ramapo between Arden and close to SF, to anyplace that was 'down below and around the bend."

Trackside phone boxes were the primary link, along with tower operators. As stations and towers closed through the 50s and 60s, the 'dark' zones greatly increased.  The M&E dispatcher was completely in the dark - no model board or location indicators. Once South Orange tower closed in 66, a train dropping off Roseville Ave's board wasn't 'seen' until on the approach for Millburn, displayed in Summit tower. What was really a challenge, was the dark zone between Summit and Milburn interlocking in the a.m., with 3 scoots in it at a time, needing to be sorted onto tracks 1 & 3, while you dealt with the P&D shuffle, originating trains, crews registering, and the conversation of the moment with the signal maintainers. I loved it at 23 years old - there was a reason a day job went to somebody with 5 years seniority!

Anyhow, I digress. No radios. Hand up and yell messages to crews to tell so & so to call in if they see them down the line. Much waving of arms and blowing of whistle and flashing of headlight. It worked, but instant communication it was not.

Same deal on the Erie side- west of NJ tower, the West End dispatcher waited for the light at Howells to come on. And waited.

All diesel locos had speedometers, of course. All seasoned engineers knew their " points & pounds" on both the scoots and long-haul passenger trains.

Andy Barberra, God rest, took enormous pride in demonstrating this to me on #5 across the cut-off, and #10 down the hill on our return.  One brake reduction, 'just so', for the wb cut-off.

Finally, you folks might want to try to set aside your relativistic sense of things for a moment.  All of these conditions were 'just how it was.'  It was railroading, and a challenge met every day with care and personal responsibility. Aside from the physical plant falling down around us due to lack of profits, there was simply a focus on getting the job done. Yes, it was far more dangrous, and that too was accepted. It wasn't better or worse than anything, it was different from how it became later. Not burdoned with what 'might be', 'could be' or 'ought to be', people got on with the job, and did it pretty well to boot. EL pride is not a myth- we got it done most of the time.

Anyway, FWIW.

Len VanderJagt
former EL towerman and extra train dispatcher, NY Division