Re:Re: (erielack) DL&W Freight Cars

I'm pretty sure REA was strict about the use of their (leased) cars for their stuff only; general freight could degenerate to fish or hides; MUCH correspondence woukd result accompanied by people stumbling over the heads rolling around on the floor.

Randy Brown
Andy,

I suppose it could have happened. Keep in mind express boxcars were not  purchased in large quantities like a general freight pool box was so a  railroad would likely have not purchased more than were needed to cover  the service intended. Being passenger equipment they were also billed at  a passenger rate and not the lower freight rate for mileage which would  discourage their use unless the railroads involved had other agreements  or the economics of what they were hauling warranted their use.

Then too, I am not sure if being members of REA would have been a  factor. Some non compete agreement or something? You could always say  the car was on short term lease to REA due to a car shortage or you  could run it just because you like the way it looks. It's your railroad  and if someone doesn't like it too bad. :)

Regards,

Will Shultz