(erielack) Foreign road express cars

I believe that Randy B. is correct- there was not general interchange of
express cars between roads the way we expect for a general service box car.
However, it was not uncommon for head end cars to move in regular service on
different roads. There are many extant photos of NKP cars on the DL&W, and
vice-versa, and it is not uncommon to see (in photos) CNJ and RDG express
box cars moving on Lackawanna trains.

It is not clear to me, anyway, how this traffic was governed. Was there pool
service with the connecting lines, i.e., I'll put in three cars, you put in
three, and we'll split it? Or was this just regular scheduled service? Who
paid, and how? The Passenger Train Equipment Register always shows a per
diem and mileage charge for the listed equipment. Did the CNJ just make
arrangements to move an express car on an as needed basis? Or was it REA
that made scheduled the move?

Any thoughts, or does anyone remember how this may have been done?

Michael Mang