Re: (erielack) Foreign road express cars

Michael,

REA was REA, the 10000 series Express Boxes were not part of that pool
to the best of my knowledge. Nor was I suggesting there was any general
interchange of express boxes per se. I don't believe there was anything
to prevent that from being done, but the equipment was purchased for
specific service to begin with. I don't believe there was any rule
preventing a railroad from leasing some of their express equipment to
another road if they both agreed to a lease, it happened with other
human carrying passenger equipment so I would bet at some time or some
place it was done with baggage, express and horse cars too.

Randy, in my response to Andy I was not suggesting the cars would have
been used for general freight, in fact I cited the AAR considered this a
misuse of such equipment. Andy was asking if it was possible if a
Milwaukee express reefer could be found on an Erie train and it
certainly could have been possible under the right circumstances and if
the planets were all aligned correctly. A special shipment perhaps?

Micheal, equipment pools between railroads worked in many different
ways. There are the cases of financially unrelated but cooperative
railroads forming subsidiary companies like the Nickel Plate-Lackawanna
Dairy Line. The best I have been able to find out about that one was it
was an equal partnership. It only lasted for 10 years from 1925 to 1935.

Then there are the cases of companies such as the Pacific Fruit Express
which came out of the Harriman era ownership of the UP and SP. There
were probably a hundred variations in between.

For a more in depth discussion of pooling equipment for a through line
train you might want to refer back to William Greenberg's Interstate
Express two part article last year in RMC. Also, on this very list
someone posted the consists of several Lackawanna passenger trains and
included were express cars from the New York Central (the Michigan
Central connection?)  and even the Erie. If you search the list archives
you should be able to find the listings.

I still say to Andy, if it looks good to you, run it.

Regards,

Will Shultz