Re: (erielack) Speaking of radios & Speed Signs on the..... SOUTHERN

That's a good point...making the signs vandal proof is difficult.
Certainly, the temporary signs can be a problem.  I was thinking more in
terms of the permanent speed restrictions.  I agree that in an ideal world
they would be unnecessary because every engineer would be thoroughly
familiar with the railroad, but it seems that engineers are being expected
to know more miles of railroad than ever before and that's where the
highway sign analogy, in my opinion, is pretty close to apples and apples
(maybe Macintosh and Golden Delicious) rather than apples and oranges.  I
just think that anything that decreases the odds of a catastrophe, such as
hitting a 40 mph curve at 70 mph (or more), is worth having.  It's usually
only after the fact that the value of safeguards are revealed.  I, for one,
would like to see everything automated and be in the cab--signals, GPS,
track speed, slow orders, etc.--and I think this is obtainable in the
future.  For now, we're still dealing with a lot of lingering mid-20th
century technology and I think that's the problem.  Railroad management
wants the flexibility to move personnel around, but the complexity of doing
so safely is a stumbling block that needs to be overcome first.

                      Smtimko_@_aol.com

                      04/26/2005 07:41 To:     Charles_Walsh_@_Berlex.com
                      AM                       wsmith5957_@_hotmail.com
                                       cc:     alfred_runte_@_msn.com
                                               bvolkmer_@_herzogcompanies.com
                                               erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
                                               erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org
                                               jananran_@_mymailstation.com
                                               johnkluge_@_citcom.net
                                               ORMONDCATH_@_aol.com
                                               PapaG1954_@_aol.com
                                               PEMcHugh_@_aol.com
                                               snopercod_@_citcom.net
                                               s.kay4_@_verizon.net
                                               terryem1762_@_yahoo.com
                                               Re: (erielack) Speaking of radios & Speed Signs on the..... SOUTHERN

Chuck:

There are pro's and con's on the sign issue:

Signs are good, however, when working for Conrail I noted virtually
hundreds of cases of crews getting into trouble because the signs were
missing, erected at the wrong location (Stop Signs and Temporary Speed
Limit Signs), and they are prone to vandalism.  Vandals yank out the signs
as collectors items or throw them on the track.  Once hit by train, they
can part an air hose and/or operate a cutting lever and uncouple the train.
Most engineers will agree that signs are nice, but they must be properly
maintained.  That means that they must be clean, have the reflective
material if required and be properly placed.  Properly placed means that
they must be placed in accordance with the instructions for placement (in
the case of Conrail, the MW-4 book), not at the nearest crossing where the
foreman can place them.

I can recall instances of crews passing a temporary STOP sign without
permission because the work limits were spread out over 20 plus miles with
multiple stop signs placed in the working limits. Signs were erected under
a bridge, in a shadow, and the crew could not see it.  The sign was dirty
from mud pumping in the ROW during the track work or it 'fell over' due to
being placed temporarily just for one day.  Also, signs get hit with the
track machinery that the signs protect, knocking them down.  I remember
many horror stories of backhoes being hit due to this problem.

Train and Engine service personnel are professionals and know their
territory like the back of their hands.  Walt's examples are certainly
valid with a crew from WAS working two directions.  Lots of territory to
remember.

The most important items to have proper control over speed restrictions as
well as working limits:  properly rested, alert, qualified crews, and
properly issued Bulletin Orders with the restrictions listed in proper
sequence for the crews.  In my forty year career---over half in management,
I can see the progress made on the above.  Yes, there are always exceptions
to the rule, and there are horror stories about improper Bulletin Orders,
unqualified crew members, crews that are not properly rested, etc.

Relating operating trains to driving on the Interstate highways is like
comparing apples and oranges.  You don't have to be 'qualified' on the
route to drive from Chicago to Atlanta, just have to have a valid license.
Crews members must make student or qualifying trips (several)and then be
qualified by a company official, such as a Road Foreman or Trainmaster.
Then, they must make the trip once a year or once every six-months to
remain qualified, whatever the rules require on that road/territory.

SMT