RE: (erielack) Erie 750A-B-C-D GE cab unit demonstrator set in the 12-26-05 ABPR

Yes; Overland; HO; about 15 years ago, I think; no, they were not stellar models; yes, I've rebuilt
(along with help from a friend who's a machinist) an ABBA set, nearly finished after years of
off-and-on work.  I might be able to post photos sometime soon.

These were early Ajin.  The "engineering" was pathetic.  The floor would bow down in forward, up in
reverse.  This is an under the floor drive.  The shafts in the trucks are steel.  The universals to
the gear tower >>were<< brass.  The shaft in the gear tower was steel.  They would occasionally
touch right through.  The sparks made it fun to run the ABBA set in the dark, because not all four
units would short at the same time, so it would keep moving, but what a light show!!

Plastic (Athearn) universals solved that problem.

This model depended (a lot) on edge to edge solder joints, which are not up to a lot of handling,
and as much work as I've done on these, there's a LOT of handling involved.  Sometimes just keeping
it assembled was a chore.

SGL