(erielack) Steam Vs Diesel

We all know that steam locomotives faded from the scene on Erie and DL&W
in 1953. However, steam power did not. Both the Erie and DL&W continued
to use steam power in bridges, tugs, ferries, cranes, pile drivers, wreckers,
ditchers, along with steam heat in buildings and passenger cars.

What showed up most notably in the MOW area is that the Erie sought to
convert to diesel power as quickly as it could. After WWII, the Erie had
replaced all (nearly 70) steam-powered locomotive cranes with diesel-
powered ones by 1954, whereas the DL&W retained theirs to the merger.
In the early 50s when they both purchased new 250-ton wreckers, the
Erie bought 3 diesels, but the DL&W opted to buy steam. Likewise, the
Erie converted some of their steam wreckers to diesel, but the Lackawanna
stayed with steam to the merger. Although I am not that familiar with their
NYC marine operations, I believe the Erie took the lead in purchasing
and converting tugs to diesel.

My question is: why the Erie seemed to convert at a rapid pace, and the
DL&W did not? It almost seemed like the DL&W was reluctant to make
the conversion. Was it due to a lack of capital? Labor agreements? A
steam culture? Both operated in the same major States (NY,NJ,PA) so
perhaps regulatory reasons did not enter into it. Are there any other
examples that support this observation? Or are there areas where the
DL&W lead the Erie in conversion to diesel?

Ronald R. Dukarm  ELHS #532  ELHTS #66
MOW Technical Advisor
rdukarm_@_adelphia.net