Re: (erielack) Wine Cars

Paul,

A lighter, isn't a barge or a car float or a scow. Lighters could be
open deck or enclosed, powered or un-powered. One of the characteristics
which makes a lighter a lighter, is having its own crane or boom for
powered or un-powered, didn't have cranes and relied on the dock or ship
cranes to do the lifting should it be needed.

Car floats have tracks, lighters, barges and scows don't. Car floats
also come in variations; regular and station floats. Station floats were
the ones with the center, covered walkways used for unloading across the
cars. Very convenient when unloading at a freight house located on a
pier. Station floats could of course be used for "floating" cars to the
various rail terminals or ship-side, but that was the primarily the
domain of the three track car floats. Did I mention the station floats
had only two tracks?

At least the above applies to the Lackawanna and its contribution of
marine equipment to the EL.

Regards,

Will Shultz