(erielack) Re: Marine equipment modeling

Randy -

  As long as my last name stays Heiss and not Flagg, I am no authority, believe me, but thank you for the compliment   (I think!)

  Yes, you are correct about the two types of float bridges, and any little idiosyncrasies and minutiae don't really apply to this statement. I won't bore you or anyone else with the fine details, unless you want me to, and off list of course.

  Could the Walthers kit become a 2-track float? Well yeah, I guess so, but as the rail chairs and frog are cast into the deck, it would take some work. Not impossible, but.....
  I guess you could always re-deck the float, but again, why bother, just buy the Frenchman River kit, or scratch-build a rough representation of a float (not really as hard as it seems, depending on which of the two articles you follow - which also happened to be in the RMIG's Transfer, btw)

  As for steam tug "chuff" - That's a VERY good question, and since I am only 36 (see, I'm no "authority"!) , I have never had the pleasure of seeing a steam tug, let alone a diesel tug (non-railroad ones not withstanding) However, a good way to experience this is a tour by Conrad Milster at I believe Hofstra University in NYC......He is their chief engineer  (not sure of his actual title), and he maintains the schools steam operated power plant. He does do tours, and I have been told he does sometimes do presentations, with sound and all. Since I don't know if I, let alone you, will be able to attend one of his tours or shows anytime soon, I will ask my friend and Transfer      co-author Dave Pearce if he remembers what a steam tug sounded like while he worked on the Valley's marine dept. in the 1950's.

  As for you tug rides....Any interesting stories you can share?  (on topic of course!)

  Ralph Heiss

  "Not an authority. . ."  Yeah, right!

Am I correct in my understanding that the two types of apron differ in that the pontoon bridge floats and rises and falls with the tide while the contained apron bridge must be mechanically raised or lowered to match the float?

Could the Walthers 3-track float become a 2-track station float by simply covering over the center track with the platform and hiding its connection at the loading end?

On tug boats:  I can't remember ever hearing a steam tug.  Did they chuff?  I know that some of the diesel tugs sounded just like GP7s, for the obvious reason.

I spent a couple of years as Director of Transportation for the New York Chamber of Commerce and Industry ( a private advocacy organization, more political than useful ) and had several memorable tugboat rides, courtesy of McAllister or New York Cross Harbor, as we tried to show the financial nabobs that New York harbor was an economic asset.  They were too dense, the Chamber included -- but that's another story.