Re: (erielack) Erie Boxcab 22 in the 1-10-06 ABPR

There is no location for the shot in the ABPR, the ones on George's site are
labeled as being taken in Akron.

Henry

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 dennis.j.mcdermott_@_verizon.com wrote:

> Are you sure this is from Akron? It looks alot like NYC 28th St yard.
>

> "J. Henry Priebe Jr." <root_@_net.bluemoon.net>
> Sent by: erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org
> 01/10/2006 11:33 AM
> Please respond to
> "J. Henry Priebe Jr." <root_@_net.bluemoon.net>

> "Erie Lackawanna Mail List" <erielack_@_lists.elhts.org>
> cc
>
> Subject
> (erielack) Erie Boxcab 22 in the 1-10-06 ABPR
>

> I have always been fascinated by the early boxcab locos, today we focus on
> Erie 22.
>
> http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?january06/01-10-06/Erie22BertPennnypacker+ScanColl.jpg
>

> From: Joseph Testagrose joet5_@_optonline.net
> Subject: US - Erie22BertPennnypacker&ScanColl.jpg
> Photo Bert Pennypacker & my scanned collection.
> Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 19:43:52 -0500 -- File Info: JPEG 1024x553
> Erie22BertPennnypacker+ScanColl.jpg
>

> Described at http://www.cnwhs.org/ageir/roster.html as follows
>
> ALCO Order # S-1531 for Five 100 Ton 600 Horsepower Units
> Using Two Ingersoll-Rand 300 Horsepower Diesel Engines. Red River Lumber
> Company #502, Great Northern Ry #5100, AGEIR Demonstrator #40, Erie RR #21
> and Erie RR #22.
>
> Erie RR #22
> ALCO Builders #66678 - GE Builders #10177 - Delivered October 18, 1927...
> Note: Had an Interurban style pilot ("cow catcher") installed during
> construction. Erie Class M-2. Erie RR #21 entered a short stint operating
> local passenger service on October 13, 1927 and was joined for this brief
> period by Erie #22 upon delivery... prior to both units entering switching
> service. Erie #22 was rebuilt January 1952 by Erie/Hornell as Erie Yard
> Slug
> #B22 (might have acquired Blunt trucks). Retired October 1966 and scrapped
> at
> Meadville Pennsylvania February 1967...
>
> Most if not all of these units were initially constructed with a Pinion to
> Gear ratio for "Road Service" - producing an Ingersoll-Rand advertised top
> speed of 55 miles per hour.
>

> Erie RR #22 at Akron, Ohio in 1927 from George Elwood's site:
> http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/erie22atl.jpg
>
> At some later date at Akron:
> http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/erie22ajh.jpg
>
> EL slug B22 at Marion in 6/67:
> http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/el-b22alb.jpg
>
> Henry
>

>                  The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
>                  Sponsored by the ELH&TS
>                  http://www.elhts.org

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services