Re: (erielack) Corry, PA interchange?

There was an active interchange at Corry between EL and PRR, although the
use was limited to cars to/from Warren, Erie, Union City, etc.  There was  not a
huge interchange business at Corry.  I would suspect a half-dozen  cars per
week.

Most traffic to/from EL and to/from Erie, Pa went via B&LE at Shenango  to
Bucyrus-Erie at Erie.

The EL did operate detour trains via PRR from Corry to Union City (about 12
miles) when derailments happened between those points.  I recall one in the
mid-60's when #5 operated via EL-Corry-PRR-Union City-EL.  When returning  to
EL at Union City the train was reversed due to the interchange being a
loop-track design at Union City.  Freight trains usually went to Erie and  returned
via the B&LE to Shenango due to the reversing direction issue via  Union CIty.
That interchange track at Union City is still in place between  the former EL
and former PRR but it is not connected on the former EL (WNYP)  side, not
certain about the former PRR (A&E RR) side.

The crossing at Corry between WNYP (EL) and A&E RR (PRR) is an  automatic
interlocking.  The first train to activate the approach circuit  obtains the
signal to proceed, providing other conditions allow it.

SMT