RE: (erielack) RPL's

Paul B. wrote:

> Athearn rtr has released in HO the 57' mechanical reefer in
> EL, 2 numbers, Athearn #'s 71159 and 71160. EL acquired these
> in 2 lots of 20 in 1966 and 1968; the model is most like the
> second group, with logo painted directly on the wall instead
> of a plate, although there are notable discrepancies in roof
> design and engine cover.

There are more difference between the prototype and Athearn's model,
including rib spacing and door style. Like their bay-window caboose, it's
not an exact match, but it's a fine "stand-in." The only correct model I've
seen was Con-Cor's 57' car (which the ELHS had run with and without placards
many, many years ago).

> EL did not originate significant
> produce traffic, so presumably they were EL's contribution to
> the west coast trade, similar to an auto parts car pool.
> Shortly after their arrival, EL's carload produce traffic
> took a nosedive when NY markets were consolidated at Hunt's
> Point in the Bronx, which EL had no access to. What they were
> used for after that I have no idea. Anyone?

As I understand it, the cars were dedicated to Cool-Whip service out of Avon
(I think?), NY, and were never used for produce. The cars' 1966/1967 built
dates post-date the last of the great produce traffic levels.