RE: (erielack) weird towns on the EL systems (was: subject matter )

Jon Scaptura wrote:

> Having never been to Jersey

What you've missed! :)

> Do all
> Jersey towns have funny names or are there some that are easy to
> pronounce and spell? All kidding aside, where do those funny names
> come from anyway?

Well, the EL in NJ definitely went through towns with wacky names. Let's see here...

Ho-Ho-Kus (Erie main line)  - Native American derivation, I believe

Hoboken - Native American derivation

Mahwah - Another Native American derivation

Port Morris - Why is this weird? The town is located at least 30 miles from any navigable through waterways. (it was named for its original location on the Morris Canal)

Lake Hopatcong - Native American derivation

Boonton - Not really weird, but I'll just vent after living there for 27 years: THERE'S AN 'N' IN THERE! Almost everyone not familiar with the town invariably spells it "BOOTON" (including the EL, who stenciled caboose C187 for the "BOOTON DRILL" :)

The weirdness extends beyond NJ's borders, but I'll let others unlock those names... :)

	- Paul, happy to bring this thread back to list topic :)