RE: (erielack) UPS Trailers on EL

Paul B. wrote:

> If you can
> find any of the Walthers 75' flats they released around 1990
> (the original
> Trailer Train fleet acquired from PRR), this might work since it's 10'
> shorter than it's later counterpart and the trucks are
> end-mounted, which
> will give less trouble on sharp curves.

The EL took the Erie cars and added a 10' section in the middle to lengthen the cars out to 85' (which is another project on my modeling "to-do" list) to be able to handle a pair of 40' trailers, though after the mid-1960s the cars weren't seen all that often in intermodal service. However, the shorter length 75' car would work well.

One other option you have is something I've seen Allen McClelland do on his V&O - he takes 89' cars and shortens them to more manageable lengths. Visually, they don't look all that different when they're in a train of similar cars, but they can handle the tight turns much better. You might want to consider that - chopping off 3 feet on each end of an 89' TOFC flat, which will a) make the car 6' shorter, and b) bring the trucks further out to the ends of the car.